Re: New Dinosauricon Taxon Pages: _Therizinosauria_

--- Mickey Mortimer <Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:
> T. Michael Keesey wrote-
>
> Technically, as the only reason the (lost) holotype of "Ornithomimus"
> minutus was assigned to the Mononykinae is the described
> hyperarctometatarsus (Holtz, 1994), it could be an avimimid as well.
> Unfortunately, Marsh did not describe the specimen (at least a partial
> metatarsus) further, so we have no way of specifying its relationships.
> The referred specimen (USNM 2909) is a second metatarsal and two partial
> pedal phalanges, which Chiappe and Walker (2002) refer to the
> Euenantiornithes.

Interesting -- thanks for the correction.

> "Ornithodesmus" latidens has been renamed Istiodactylus (Howse, Milner and
> Martill in Martill and Naish, 2001) in Dinosaurs of the Isle of Wight.

I am aware of that. My point was that if you want species names to be binomina,
you have to either a) make them stick with their original generic name (so it
would remain _Ornithodesmus latidens_), or suffer impermanent species names.
(_Ornithodesmus latidens_ yesterday, _Istiodactylus latidens_ today, who knows,
maybe _Ornithostoma latidens_ tomorrow? Not a serious proposal, mind you, just
an example.)

=====
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====