Re: New Dinosauricon Taxon Pages: _Therizinosauria_

Quoting "T. Michael Keesey" <mightyodinn@yahoo.com>:

> >   I've argued before that the moast pragamtic way
> >   is using a two-word specification consisting of the Clade Name
> >   Formerly Known As Genus followed by the species name, like this:
> >   _Erlikosaurus andrewsi_.  I still think this is by far the most
> >   pragmatic way to go.  (Just because the code saus that genera are
> >   not "significant" does not mean that we can't still use them as
> >   labels.)
>
> The problem with that system is that we are then stuck with misleading
> species
> names: _Ornithomimus minutus_ (an alvarezsaurid), _Ornithodesmus latidens_
> (a
> pterosaur), etc. ... and _Homo troglodytes_, if I'm not mistaken!

So put the incorrect genus name in quotes.  Also, there's nothing that says
_Pan_ has to be sunk into _Homo_--neither genus as traditionally conceived is
paraphyletic relative to the other.

Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan