Re: New Dinosauricon Taxon Pages: _Therizinosauria_

Mike Keesey (mightyodinn@yahoo.com) wrote:

<My point was that if you want species names to be binomina, you have to
either a) make them stick with their original generic name (so it would
remain _Ornithodesmus latidens_), or suffer impermanent species names.>

  The binomen as offered is the species name, not the species name plus
some other name that can be changed. The binomen is now the label for
species, and it is the concept of the "genus" that is removed. The name
stays and is transfered to the species. It's been done before (Flynn et
al., JVP _20_), its hardly an alien and destructive force. The authors
refer to the whole complex (prefering n. tax.) as a single structure,
where plenty of nominative information can be contained in the binomen
_species_. Forget the genus-species complex. Its _species_ only. This is
the proposition. All species get their own "prima nomen", so that
*Tarbosaurus bataar*, however its related, is retained unless the species
(*Tarbosaurus bataar*, not *bataar*) is synonymous with species of another
taxon. Then the whole name is subsumed, prima nomen and secunda nomen
both. *Istiodactylus latidens*, if synonymous with *Ornithostoma seeleyi*,
becomes *Ornithostoma seeleyi*.

  *Ornithomimus minuts* does not belong to *Ornithomimus velox*, and so
the name can be altered so that it is shown to be identical ... or it is
synonymized with another taxon. If no species is synonymous in this
regard, each species is unique and the name follows suit.

  I hope this is clear.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden