Re: Website News.

n g wrote:

> Was Triceratops maximus a previously published species, or is it new?

Bakker likes to re-use old  names. Triceratops maximus actually is only few
oversized bones of  ?Triceratops (that reference Dan Varner is referring to).
However, as I say in the text in my website, I have seen a head of Triceratops
that almost exceeds Torosaurus (and that means the head itself is enormous, not
just the frill).

> I've always wondered a couple of things about 'The New Chinese Revolution,
> Part 2'.  I think it's an awesome piece of artwork (was using it as my
> wallpaper for a few weeks).  In the rearing Cryptovolans pauli individual,
> what position is the head in? It's always looked rather strange to me.

It is doing a 'preening' gesture.

> And
> shouldn't there be more feathers on the second finger (man. digit II)?

Possibly.  In fact it is sometimes our fault as artists  to emphasize certain
anatomical attributes (to show specific characteristics)  that maybe were
completely hidden in the actual animal. Many complain that after adding
feathers or fur, all the nice anatomy studies we have done are lost under the
coat. The hands and claws of all these maniraptorans (an possibly even
Archaeopteryx itself) were probably hidden.

> In
> regards to the Psittacosaurus.  Is it crunching down on a bone there or a
> stick of some sort?  What was your inspiration for it to be doing so?

Bone. I point out in the text that there's evidence of a psittacosaur with
stomach contents (still unpublished)... and it was full of bones. Psittacosaurs
might have been porcupine-mimics (only in reverse time). I believe many
ceratopsians were also scavengers and omnivores (Protoceratops one of them).

>   And also, in the text, you refer to psittacosaurs as
> "beaked, primitive relative of ceratopsians".  Psittacosaurs are
> ceratopsians.

Again correct, but I was just being overzealous in stressing the ancestral,
'primitive' state with respect to more evolved ceratopsians. Psittacosaurs
don't even have horns.

> I presume you were referring to NGMC 91 when you mentioned
> the 'still unnamed dromaeosaur'.  Does it really resemble Microraptor? I
> thought it was closer (if not the same) to Sinornithosaurus.

Cryptovolans is similar bone by bone to Microraptor... and recently Greg Paul
has tried to tie together the genus Microraptor with Sinornithosaurus (see the
new Prehistoric Times article), although how much  "Dave" has to do with
Microraptor is not completely clear to me. I don't see those leg feathers in
Dave, although it's clear that the leg feathers were there from the beginning
for all to see in Cryptovolans.

Thank you for the feedback

--
Luis Rey