Re: Cladistic notation

> Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:24:34 -0500
> From: "Charles Roustan" <charlesroustan@softhome.net>
>
> Can any of you tell me of a website where I can find the _basic_
> principles of this notation? (one of all the others that seem to be
> out there, anyway) or can anyone give me a quick rundown here?
> please?

Yes, you'll be wanting the Dinosaur Mailing List's FAQ, which you can
find at http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/faq/

In particular:
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/faq/s-class/phyletic/index.html
explain terms like monophyletic, paraphyletic, etc., and defines
notation such as Clade(A+B) and Clade(A<--B).  And
http://www.miketaylor.org.uk/dino/faq/s-class/clad/index.html
describes in crude terms what a cladistic analysis is and how it's
done with a tiny worked example.

Hope this helps.

)_v__/\  "No no, it's spelt `Luxury Yacht', but it's pronounced
         `Throat-wobbler Mangrove'" -- Monty Python's Flying Circus.