Re: "Flight theory has legs"

Graydon wrote:
> > Once aerodynamic power supplants leg power, reduction of hindlimb mass
> > would have enhanced the distance and control over this hunting style.

Why?  Wouldn't hindlimb mass (in the form of muscle) still be useful for
those animals that used a leaping launch?

> > No trees need be involved.

I'd agree with that.  But I wouldn't exclude them either.

> Especially as the second toe sickle claw a)only works down and b)has a
> force limit; you can't apply more than will start shoving the dromeosaur
> away from the prey.

Yes, you can.  Applying additional force will tear through the prey with
more vigor, just as it moves the predator away from the prey with more
vigor.

> "Hang time", and some aerodynamic means of counterbalancing a downward
> force, would be selected for in any dromeosaurid that regularly hunted
> large prey.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. Will you elaborate
please?

JimC