Re: Triassic dino tracks in this week's Science

"Emma C. Rainforth" wrote:

> Are they still there in the coal mine or have they been mined (or
> fallen off). They're 40 years old now (plus or minus 210 million...)

I suspect they no longer exist (like a lot of prints found in the
ceilings of mines). It's a pity, since a lot of tracks have come from
coal mines (Changpeipus bartholomaii in the Westvale Colliery, 71cm
theropod tracks from the Balgowan Colliery). Most are Jurassic in age.
The 71cm print maker would have given even the largest of Allosaurus
specimens a run for its money (pun intended).

The Mt Morgan tracks (Middle Jurassic) are still there though, and
interesting since the associated manus prints show five fingers. Tracks
found in the ceilings of opal mines at Lightning Ridge tend to be very
short lived (often the only evidence is in the form of rough tracings
made by diligent miners).

If you'd like to pick my trackways pages apart for errors (other
peoples', that is!) then take a chance on:
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/tracks.htm