Re: And the Largest Theropod Is....

I remember reading that the claw of _Megaraptor namunhuaiquii_ was considerably larger than the same claw belonging to _Utahraptor_. Given that nowhere near a complete skeleton of the latter has been discovered, could we extrapolate which was the larger animal?

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

Megaraptor namunhuaiquii Novas 1998
(MCF-PVPH 79) (~9.5 m; ~1.4 tons) ulna (332 mm), phalanx I-1 (188 mm),
distal metatarsal III (~453 mm), pedal ungual II (310 mm)
The estimate is based on Deinonychus, extrapolating from metatarsal width.

Utahraptor ostrommaysorum Kirkland, Gaston and Burge 1993 (~12 m; ~2.7 tons) caudal vertebrae (Britt et al., 2001) Based on undescribed specimens, this estimate comes from caudals reportedly twice as long as those associated with a 565 mm femur.