Re: Once and for all (final Oviraptorid puzzles...)

Øyvind Padron (padron@stud.ntnu.no) wrote:

<1. The "Ingenia" skull in the National Gaographic issue about gobi
dinosaurs, a few years back, what is it?
  It looks like a elongated Khaan to me.
  Is it described/redescribed?>

  This skull remains undescribed, and its referred affinity to *Ingenia*
is on the basis of lacking a cranial crest. Prior to 1997, this was the
main conclusion on oviraptorid skulls without crests; those with crests
were *Oviraptor*, which is why the holotype of *Citipati* in the same Nat.
Geo. paper has the label of *Oviraptor philoceratops*. As for wether the
skull belongs to *Ingenia*, it is not possible to confirm as the holotype
of *Ingenia* lacks the significant cranial material to determine this as
described to date, and definate *Ingenia* occurs in Barun Goyot beds.
*Khaan* occurs in Djadokhta, as does the figured elongated skull,
suggesting they may be the same taxon or related, beyond various and
numerous cranial synapomorphies.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden