Gastralia question

Hello

I read somewhere (ok, in a copy of Romer's "The Vertebrate Body") that
gastralia are of dermal origin. Does this mean gastralia, as well as scutes
and similar dermal thingies appear all of a sudden -without going first
through the cartilage phase- in the embryonic stages or am I understanding
it all wrong?

If you could give me some references that I could check, it would be great,
please don't send me to go read Romer's "Osteology of the Reptiles" because
at least for now I can't get my hands on it.

I apologize if the question is dumb., ok?

Charles R.