Fw: Dinosauricon Phylogeny: in progress

Oops! Should have gone to the list.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Marjanovic" <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
To: <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: Dinosauricon Phylogeny: in progress

> I just wrote...
>
> > With enough replicates, all the data is included, no? -- I didn't try
> > bootstrapping, because the support for any node can't be high when the
> > consensus is grass.
>
> But I'll of course try reweighting (letting PAUP* a posteriori downweight
> homoplastic characters and then trying again). This should give a measure
> of the agreement between the results and the data, if not between the data
> and reality.

I've done that. Normally I get

+--*Patagopteryx*
`--+--*Yanornis*
   `--+--*Yixianornis*
      `--rest of Ornithuromorpha

, but after reweighting *P.* jumps up:

+--*Yanornis*
`--+--*Yixianornis*
   `--+--*P.*
      `--rest of Ornithuromorpha

Reweighting also supports a grouping of

+--*Archaeopteryx*
|--Scansoriopterygidae
`--+--Troodontidae (*Sinovenator* + *Sinornithoides*)
   `--+--*Microraptor*
      `--+--*Rahonavis*
         `--*Shenzhouraptor*

which is normally paraphyletic in most trees (but *R.* and *S.* almost
always stay together).

However, even reweighting fails to tear Enantiornithes apart. Based on +- 3
synapomorphies, it always includes *Protopteryx*, *Longipteryx*,
*Eocathayornis* and *Eoenantiornis*. At least *Jibeinia* stays outside...

More later.