Re: Phylogeny of Maniraptora

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 03:11:20PM -0500, Tim Williams scripsit:

> >Why do we always use binary logic?  What's wrong with trinary?
>
> If you have another hypothesis, I'd love to hear it.

The hips that support a splayed stance strongly suggest an ancestrally
scansorial mode of life; they're morphologically very different from the
strongly front-to-back hips of the ancestor of modern birds.

Microraptor gui might well be the example of the trees-down mode of
evolving flight in theropods, and otherwise pretty much independent of
the main maniraptors->birds line of descent.

--
oak@uniserve.com | Uton we hycgan    hwaer we ham agen,