Re: Phylogeny of Maniraptora

Tim Williams wrote:

> Ralph Miller <dinoguyralph@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >_Microraptor gui_ may have held its "hind wings" underneath it in an
> >inverted "V" during active flapping, only unfolding them intermittently to >
> >>provide additional lift as it rests its outstretched "forewings" during > >
> >passive gliding.
>
> This is a plausible scenario.  However, my more conservative mindset tells me
> that passive gliding is the simplest explanation.

I'm not sure how plausible it is.  I still don't understand why the
animal would want to deliberately place its hindlimbs in what would
usually be a high drag configuration.  Would someone explain that to me
please.  And doesn't this imply that passive gliding is easier to
achieve than active flapping?  Is that indeed the case?

> But as I've noted in previous posts, the firmer attachment of the remiges to
> the manus has _nothing_ to do with the mechanics of powered flight.

I missed those posts. Why not?

> this feature presumably allowed the primaries to better resist  the
> torsional stresses of flapping by providing a more secure attachment.  But
> this does not mean this was the primordial function behind more firmly
> attached primaries.

Why does not being the primordial function mean that it had nothing to
do with the mechanics of powered flight?

Using my right hand to control the stick for roll and pitch control
isn't its primordial function -- but it sure has a lot to do with the
mechanics of powered flight.... at least while I'm in the plane and the
engine is running.