RAUHUT ON BASAL THEROPODS

Ha ha.. it is in my hands right now (well, it is when I'm not
typing)....

Rauhut, O. W. M. 2003. The interrelationships and
evolution of basal theropod dinosaurs. _Special Papers in
Palaeontology_ 69, 1-213.

As mentioned, it theory it should be orderable from the Pal.
Ass. website (www.palass.org) but as of today is not
advertised there. Full price is £60; to Pal. Ass. members it's
less. I am due to write a proper review so will save more
detailed comments until then. Meanwhile..

Needless to say this is a major contribution. 60 taxa are
analysed using 224 characters. Thankfully the data matrix is
protrayed in tabular form. The general conclusions of this
study will be familiar due to Mickey's summary of Rauhut's
thesis but they are: that _Eoraptor_ and herrerasaurids are
basal theropods; that Ceratosauria sensu Gauthier is
paraphyletic and forms two monophyletic groups which are
successive outgroups to Tetanurae; that Carnosauria is
monophyletic and that it includes a Spinosauroidea and an
Allosauroidea.

_Dilophosaurus_ is excluded from Coelophysoidea but is
closer to Ceratosauria + Tetanurae (Ceratosauria is used
here for _Ceratosaurus_ + Abelisauroidea). _Neovenator_ is
sister to Carcharodontosauridae and sinraptorids are the
sister-taxon to _Neovenator_ + carcharodontosaurids as
these taxa share an expanded ischial 'boot', postorbital
projection into orbit and dorsal projection on the parietals
(_Allosaurus_ is outside of this clade.. hmm).
_Spinosaurus_ is suggested to be a composite and
consequently Baryonychidae is used for the _S.
aegyptiacus_ dentary, _Baryonyx_, _Suchomimus_ etc.
_Proceratosaurus_ is a basal coelurosaur and coelurids
(_Coelurus_ + compsognathids) and tyrannosauroids are
basal coelurosaurs closer to Maniraptora than _P. bradleyi_.
A new skull reconstruction of _Ornitholestes_ is provided
(no horn): surprisingly large premax teeth (larger than
maxillary teeth). Dromaeosaurids and troodontids form a
Deinonychosauria, _Unenlagia_ is closer to birds than to
deinonychosaurs. _Avimimus_ and _Microvenator_ are
closer to Oviraptorosauria (used in most restrictive sense)
than is _Caudipteryx_.

All characters used are explained and many are illustrated:
something I think EVERYONE would _like_ do, but often
cannot for reasons of space and time. There are extensive
discussions on the implications of the phylogeny, how it
compares to other studies and the patterns it reveals for
theropod biogeography and cladogenesis.

_Eotyrannus_ is mentioned in there somewhere but I haven't
found where yet.

--
Darren Naish
University of Portsmouth UK, PO1 3QL