RE: Rex's cloaca, Hypsi's tail, Neo's nose and Bary's jaw!

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Colin McHenry
>
> The reason I was asking about _Baryonyx_  and _Spinosaurus_ was because I
> understand that they have festooned jawlines but homodont
> dentition.  I had
> a feeling that the assertions of piscivory in these animals were
> to do with
> the fact they have festooned jaws (but no-one has commented on this).

Actually, spinosaurids have heterodont dentition (as far as size is
concerned), particularly in the dentary.  The anteriormost teeth are
significantly larger than the teeth further back in the jaws (as in, for
example, some phytosaurs).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742