Re: Phylogeny of Maniraptora

James R. Cunningham <jrccea@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Would you actually want them to be truly coplanar?

Not necessarily. But that's the configuration illustrated in the description of _M. gui_ by Xu et al. (2003). Coplanar forewings and hindwings could work in concert to provide the functional equivalent of a patagium. If I'm interpreting your response correctly, then I agree: the forewings and hindwings might have acted independently in aerial locomotion.

Tim