Re: Phylogeny of Maniraptora

James R. Cunningham <jrccea@bellsouth.net> wrote:

I think its fair to say that passive gliding is far more aerdynamically
challenging than active flapping.  Biomechanically, I agree with you.
But evolutionary improvements in an early passive glider would appear to
trend away from the improvements needed by an active flapper.

I've heard this argument before. I was under the impression that the Norbergs (among others) had demonstrated that a glider could start flapping without being detrimental to gliding.

Tim