Stinky T rexes?

hmmm

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=2887380

T-Rex -- Savage Killer or Scavenging Bully?
Fri June 6, 2003 12:57 AM ET

egarded as a savage killer marauding unchallenged across the later
dinosaur era.

But new research suggests a different interpretation, casting T-Rex as
little more than a scavenger, hunting out the kills of other carnivores
and stealing them.

"Big, nasty and stinky -- that's my idea of T-Rex. I don't believe there
is any evidence for it being a predator at all," paleontologist Jack
Horner said in a statement.

He will be putting his theory up for public scrutiny in an exhibition at
London's Natural History Museum that will run from August 2003 to May
2004.

Horner, credited with being the inspiration for Alan Grant -- played by
Sam Neill -- in Michael Crichton's "Jurassic Park," argues that the
monster's forelegs were too short, its eyes too small and its speed too
slow to make it a hunter.

On the other hand, like a vulture, a large part of its brain was dedicated
to sensing smells and it could travel long distances.

Horner, curator of paleontology at the Museum of the Rockies in Montana
and technical advisor to Stephen Spielberg for the Jurassic Park films,
argues that T-Rex used its bulk and stink to simply bully smaller
dinosaurs away from their meals.