[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]
Re: Phylogeny of Maniraptora
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Williams" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 10:31 PM
> But, *why* would it flap? You've explained the *how*, but not the *why*
> the predatory stroke --> flight stroke pathway.
I know of 4 ideas...
- WAIR (attempted trunk-climbing).
- FUCHSIA (attempted swimming).
- Trying to regain equilibrium.
- Repeated trials to grab the next branch.
- Repeated trials to grab some prey (insects).
Needless to say, all evidence here is negative and very circumstantial. The
last idea has (speculatively) been proposed for bats. The 3rd looks least
likely to me, but what do I know.