Re: "Chuniaoae" Ji et al. 1998

--- Nick Gardner <ratites637@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I was printing off the supplementary information for Ji et al. 1998, and
> noticed that there were diagnoses for two clades -- "Chuniaoae" and Avialae.

Is it kept in quotes?

>   "Chuniaoae" is not mentioned after that point and appears to be used for
> the unnamed clade of _Caudipteryx_ + Avialae further down in the text.

Hmm... in the diagram in the Ostrom symposium volume, that node was labelled
Dromavialae, but oviraptorosaurs were more basal.
(http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2002Feb/msg00463.html)

> I suppose this could be the earliest name for the clade containing both
> paravians and enigmosaurians.

Well, there's _Maniraptora_ sense Sereno, IIRC.
By the diagram, _Protarchaeopteryx_ was not considered an oviraptorosaur
(therizinosaurs were not included, nor is _Caudipteryx_).

> Definition:
> ?_Caudipteryx_ + Avialae (Gauthier 1986).  Evidentally, the authors were not
> using Padian (1997)'s definition of Avialae which is Neornithes <--
> _Deinonychus_. If they had, the clade would have included
> _Protarchaeopteryx_ and _Caudipteryx_.  I think that this clade, if used in
> the future, might be better defined as _Caudipteryx_ + Neornithes, or
> _Caudipteryx_ + _Archaeopteryx_ + Neornithes,

Or _Caudipteryx zoui_ + _Archaeopteryx lithographica_ + (some neornithean
species, e.g. _Vultur gryphus_), to keep in line with PhyloCode rules.

Not a big fan of this, though, given _Caudipteryx_' variable placement....

=====
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====