Festooning crocodiles! (was Re: Rex's cloaca, Hypsi's tail, Neo's nose and Bary's jaw!)

> In this context, festooning describes a jaw line that is not straight in
the
> dorso-ventral plane.  Think of the jaws of a large Nile or salt water
> crocodile, seen from side on - there is a wave-line to the jaw which
> exaggerates the pseudo-heterdont (or anisodont, whichever term you prefer)
> appearance of the teeth.  I think the term was first applied to crocs by
> Iordansky, but I'll have to check.

I've just checked Iordansky, and if he used the term, I've missed it twice
now.  He does talk about the 'undulating' margin of the jaws, though.  I've
just skim read most of the references I have on croc skulls, and haven't
found mention of the word.    I will re-read them all more thoroughly
tomorrow - it's nagging me now - but in case anyone else knows off the top
of their head, and feels like saving me a few hours of my life, who first
(or ever) used this term with reference to crocs?  I'm sure I'm not making
it up....

Thanks
Colin

The trouble a failing memory get you in to........