Re: "Chuniaoae" Ji et al. 1998

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<It's not in quotes in my version. "Diagnoses of the Chuniaoae and the
Avialae under alternative optimizations."

I agree using this clade as "Caudipteryx + Aves" would be preferrable.>

  I would not use this until its validly published. Supplementary info is
not, as far as I can tell through any incarnation of the ICZN, considered
valid publication material, and is consequently reserved for specimen
indexes, gene indexing, etc., which do not affect publication in and of
themselves. A variation of that name, as appeared in Ji and Ji, 2002, may
be considered publication, but lacks a diagnosis and was applied to a
different stem/node/apomorphy-clade/etc. Contrarily, historically _Nature_
and _Science_ apply names with diagnoses in the main text, rather than any
supplementary info, and this continues to this day. If the name does not
appear elsewhere in the text with a diagnosis, then it is not published.
Hence, its useage may be considered premature. Given Ji and Ji time, they
may get around to doing the thing _right_ eventually.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden