Re: Scaphognathus crassirostris

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Peters" <davidrpeters@earthlink.net>
To: "dinosaur list" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 6:27 AM
Subject: Scaphognathus crassirostris

> Does anyone know if the tip of the rostrum of Scaphognathus
> crassirostris (No. 109 of Wellnhofer 1975) is broken off? The fossil was
> prepared free of the matrix in this area. We're talking about a 5 mm or
> less nose bob here.

Yes, somebody knows.  I had the pleasure of examining the holotype of
Scaphognathus crassirostris for comparison with a new specimen I am
describing.  The premaxillae are complete and there is no evidence of, or
room for,  additional teeth.  In addition, the condition of the rostrum of
the new specimen I am describing is fully consistent that of the holotype.

> Cladistically it should have a sharper premaxilla; it should have two
> more tiny premaxillary teeth per rami, probably close together, the
> anterior of which should lean anteriorly; and it should have a rostrum
> slightly longer than the dentary, which it currently does not.

May I suggest that if your cladistic analysis suggests that any specimen
should be something other than it actually is, then most likely the
cladistic analysis is incorrect.

Chris

S. Christopher Bennett, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Basic Sciences