Re: Homo sapiens idaltu

Why is it that in the old days, marks on bones like this would have been
taken as definite signs of cannibalism, yet these days they are usually
suggested as 'ritual behaviour'? Why can't humans simply have eaten each
other, without the need for symbolic activity to set them apart from
'common animals'?

As an archaeologist, I can let you in on a secret: if you don't know
what a certain object or behavioural strategy was for, then it's always
'ritual'. That way we don't look stupid by saying "we don't know". :)