Re: Dinosauricon Phylogeny: complete

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mickey Mortimer" <Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com>

> A probable junior synonym of Confuciusornis.  See
> http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2002Oct/msg00369.html

Can I be forgetful...

> > I'm confident that *Jibeinia* is outside Ornithothoraces. But
> > *Protopteryx* and *Longipteryx* could be Enantiornithes...
> > my analysis has failed to find them elsewhere.
>
> But you didn't include several characters I used to place Longipteryx and
> Protopteryx outside Ornithothoraces, so how could you test that
hypothesis?
> - maxillary fenestra present (P)

Unknown in *Iberomesornis*... and *I.* appears to be crucial for keeping
*P.* and *L.* in Enantiornithes, because it's always more basal when there's
any structure in that part of the tree.

> - postorbital contacts jugal (P)

Maybe this computer's color settings will allow me to see anything on that
photo...

> - posteromedial sternal process absent (P)
> - posteromedial sternal processes not pointed (L)
> - broad posteromedian sternal process (P)

Could be one character: sternum not particularly well ossified. Again hard
to compare with *Iberomesornis*.

> - scapula broad distally (L)
> - interclavicular angle <58 degrees (P, L)

These could be interesting. I haven't investigated them.

> > *Eoenantiornis* could have 2 separate phalanges per 3rd finger, like
*P.*,
> > *L.* and *Eocathayornis*... which you forgot. :-)
>
> What's the source for this?

Zhou Zhonghe, Wang Xiaolin, Zhang Fucheng & Xu Xing: Important features of
*Caudipteryx* -- evidence from two nearly complete new specimens, Vertebrata
PalAsiatica 38(4), 241 -- 254 (October 2000)

...as I mentioned once or twice onlist in the last few months; nobody
replied. Then I asked Feduccia himself. He doesn't know. I coded it as
uncertain (1 or 2 phalanges).

> > *Yixianornis* has a few derived characters that *Yanornis* AFAIK lacks.
> > Namely, it has a small extensor process on mc I, a shorter thumb, the
tip
> > of its pygostyle appears to be upturned a bit, and the tip of its pmx is
> > toothless; the latter 2 characters are not in my analysis.
>
> Yanornis could have an upturned pygostyle, judging by the schematic
> illustration in Zhou and Zhang (2001).

Schematic as it is...

> I'd be careful about the application of the term "extensor process".
> It seems to develop gradually from way back in the Maniraptora.

It's spur-shaped from *Apsaravis* onwards, and the statement "has a small
extensor process" (which you reported from last year's SVP meeting) sounds
rather inapplicable to a semicircle.

> > What synapomorphies do *Ambiortus* and *Otogornis* share? (I got the
> > latter as an enanti, despite its euornithine shoulder.)
>
> According to Kurochkin (1999)-
> - thickened, three-edged acrocoracoid with acute top.

They have an acrocoracoid?!? In my matrix, nothing else except *Anas* and
*Ichthyornis* would have had that. Because I didn't know more about the
distribution of this character, I ignored it. Looks like I really shouldn't
have...

> - flat, wide humeral articular facet for scapula.

Can't comment that.

> - ventral position of a small, short and oval humeral articular head.

Oval? Like globose, as opposed to "cranially concave and caudally convex"?

> - long and thin manual digit II-2.

IMHO *Otogornis* only preserves digit I.