Re: Archaeopteryx

In a message dated 6/15/03 8:33:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mightyodinn@yahoo.com writes:

<< Finally, the frame shift hypothesis (that digits shifted identity at some
point
 in tetanuran, or possibly avepodan, history) easily explains this apparent
discrepancy. >>

Has a frame-shift been documented in other groups of vertebrates (or
organisms), or is this idea something that cladists have cooked up to hide a
major
problem with their avian phylogeny, hmm? We don't need a frame shift if we
consider the notion that there was more than one pattern of digits in the
theropod-avian manus.

I can't tell you how dissatisfied I am with the current crop of
theropod-avian cladograms. Everything's circular or tautological, nothing can
be or has
been checked in independent ways. No wonder the ornithologists are screaming.