Re: Archaeopteryx

--- Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 6/16/03 1:18:33 AM EST, mightyodinn@yahoo.com writes:
>
> If a "frame-shift" can be shown to happen from time to time in other
> lineages, then you have a much stronger case for its occurrence in the
> dinosaur-avian lineage. If, however, a "frame-shift" is an artifactual
> construct dreamed up to account for an annoying discrepancy in a cladogram,
> unknown anywhere else, then it is just another junk hypothesis, something
> cladists dredge up to explain why their cladograms don't seem to accord with
> reality.

Frame shift has been noted to occur in vertebrae (e.g. in humans) and in kiwi
(_Apteryx_) manual digits. I'm sure there are other examples as well.

I'd like to ask again how you know the digits of, e.g., _Archaeopteryx_ are
I-II-III in the absence of embryonic material.

=====
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====