Re: Archaeopteryx

In a message dated 6/16/03 2:36:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
npharris@umich.edu writes:

<< I think Mike is right, though:  the manual digits of _Allosaurus_,
 _Struthiomimus_, _Deinonychus_, or _Troodon_ are pretty clearly homologous
 those of birds.  It's basal forms like _Eoraptor_ or _Herrerasaurus_ that
you
 have to worry about. >>

There's not much left of the digits in modern birds (which is why there is a
frame-shift problem in the first place). Early fossil birds with digits 1-2-3,
however, may not be terribly closely related to modern birds; we haven't yet
excluded the possibility that there were early birds with digits 2-3-4. Many
of what we call theropod dinosaurs could just be the flightless descendants of
1-2-3 birds.

Not that I think any of this is very likely, but the possibilities remain.