Re: Chaoyangopterus

Kazuo TAKAHASHI  relayed the following abstract:

VERTEBRATA PALASIATICA Vol.41 No.1 pp.34-41
TWO NEW PTERODACTYLOID PTEROSAURS FROM THE EARLY
 CRETACEOUS JIUFOTANG FORMATION OF WESTERN LIAONING, CHINA
WANG Xiao-Lin, ZHOU Zhong-He
Abstract
 In this paper we report two new pterodactyloid pterosaurs
from the Jiufotang Formation in wertern Liaoning Province of
northeast China. They are Chaoyangopterus zhangi gen. et sp.
nov. (Nyctosauridae) and Liaoningopterus gui gen. et sp. nov.
(Anhangueridae). The former not only represents the first
such record in Asia but also the earlist record and most
complete skeleton of the family. Some revisions of the family
are made, such as having four wing digits and well-developed
manual digits I-III. Liaoningopterus is the largest pterosaur
ever discovered in China; its teeth also represent the largest
known from any pterosaurs. Discoveries of two more pterosaurs
from the Jiufotang Formation further show that two pterosaur
assemblages could be recognized in the Jehol Gloup, represented
by the Yixian Formation and Jiufotang Formation, respectively.
The pterosaur assemblage of the Jiufotang Formationg shows a
lot resemblance to that of the Early Cretacrous Santana
Formation (Aptian/Albian) such as the Tapejaridae and
Anhangueridae. The age of the Jiufotang Formation (Aptian) is
 slightly older than the Santana Formation.

- --
TAKAHASHI, Kazuo 1ⶶ¡¡ÏÂÃË
pantheon@dino-pantheon.com
http://www.dino-pantheon.com/

I just had a look at the paper and traced the bones. Chaoyangopterus is
dead-ringer for Zhejiangopterus, another azhdarchid also originally
confused
with the Nyctosauridae. So it is no wonder that this new pterosaur has
four wing finger phalanges and medial manual digits with unguals.

I do wonder, though, why this misidenitification has happened twice,
especially since Dr. Unwin cleared up the first issue earlier in print.

David Peters
St. Louis

*    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *