Re: observations on the new Sapeornis specimens

> The new Zhou & Zhang paper in Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences describes
> two new specimens of _Sapeornis_, this time with skull material!

After almost half a year of waiting... :-)
Curses to the geosciences library which stopped getting CJES after December
2000.

> but no dentary teeth.

Half a beak???

> Seven sacral vertebrae, and
> perhaps 7 caudals anterior to the short pygostyle.

Are there any sutures in the pygostyle, or anything else that might allow
one to count vertebrae? Because a _short_ pygostyle after so few caudals in
such a basal form is not what I'd have expected.

> nor any preserved sternum.

:-(