RE: observations on the new Sapeornis specimens

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> David Marjanovic
>
> > but no dentary teeth.
>
> Half a beak???

Yep.  Which indicates that Oliver Rauhut's idea of combining absence of
maxillary teeth and absence of dentary teeth as a single character (in that
all the taxa he had available would invariable have either teeth in both or
teeth in neither) should indeed be replaced with the older version (i.e.,
two independant characters).

> > Seven sacral vertebrae, and
> > perhaps 7 caudals anterior to the short pygostyle.
>
> Are there any sutures in the pygostyle, or anything else that might allow
> one to count vertebrae? Because a _short_ pygostyle after so few
> caudals in
> such a basal form is not what I'd have expected.

My guesstimate is 10 verts incorporated.  It isn't horribly short (it is
about the same length as the pre-pygostyle caudals put together).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite