Re: Archaeopteryx

In a message dated 6/18/03 3:02:16 AM EST, qilongia@yahoo.com writes:

<< Ya would like to keep the rank names for what, historical and no
scientific value? If its so arbitrary, one can do without ranks and use just
taxon
names.  >>

Actually, that's what I do in The Dinosaur Catalogue. I don't use ranks above
the family level any more, since the ICZN doesn't regulate them. And I only
use family-level name endings so that something-oidea contains something-idae
contains something -inae contains something-ini contains something-ina. Some
mnemonic features of the Linnaean system are worth preserving; that's the
ultimate value of the system.