Re: Meet me & see my website

--- Nick Gardner <ratites637@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Steven Mahon wrote-
>
> >My name is Steven Mahon & I just joined the list
> >today!!! I'm a HUGE Dinosaur fanatic & I'm glad I
> >could join. I have created a website w/ a cladogram
> &
> >her's the URL:
> >

>http://www.geocities.com/floridamahon/Classifosauria.html?1054160741913
> >
> >(Sorry! I haven't learned how to make links yet.
> I'm
> >not a real computer person.)
> >

> Welcome.  It's a pretty spiffy lookin' site.
> Actually though, your site has
> several links on it already.  Do you mean something
> else? Please reply to
> this question off-list.
>
> >Check out my site! I'm ready for tips/criticism it
> >doesnt matter. Note:I am 13 years old going on 8th
> >grade. So, I still need to learn ALOT. I base my
> site
> >on what I think & feel, but mostly on other people.
> >dont have any access to papers & such that I would
> >LIKE to read. Only my Christmas & birthday can get
> me
> >thru the year....
>
> Congratulations! You're doing much better than me! I
> joined the list when I
> was 15 and started a really stupid thread (), you're
> two years younger and
> made a smart one. :-)
>
> uhm... and in going back to read that thread, I
> realize that I made a rather
> biting comment towards Dr. Holtz in one of the
> posts, and I would like to
> publicly apologize for that.
>
> Anyway, in regards to papers, if you have Adobe
> Acrobat Reader, I'm sure
> that you'll be able to ask once and awhile for a
> paper or two to the list.
> Of course, if you have an instant messenger,  no
> doubt, you can ask various
> people for papers, that's how I ended up with mine.
>

> >Anyways, I have question to ask (the 1st of many
> >more), even though is 5 years off for me, what
> college
> >could I go to get a good degree in
> >Paleontology/Paleobiology? Nobody I know can help
> so,
> >it would only be appropriate for me to ask here!
> >

> Correct me I'm wrong, but there are no colleges or
> universities offering
> degrees in either, if this has changed, I'd love to
> know.

I thought the University of Pennsylvania offered a
Paleobiology degree?? Thats where I had originally
wanted to go... only its sorta WAY too costly...

 Anyway, for that
> kind of information, I strongly recommend this site-
>
> http://www.psych.ucsb.edu/~rowe/dinosaur/FAQs.html

Kool. I'll check it out

> Feel free to ask all the questions you want, just
> remember the 7 messages
> per day limit so that you don't get in trouble like
> I did when I sent all of
> those questions to the list that one time. =)
>
> Okay, in regards to the "classifoclado", I'd
> recommend the following things-
>
> 1. Even though I don't like apomorphy-based clades,
> the node containing
> Dilophosaurus and the neotheropods would be
> Averostra.

Ooh. I didn't know there was a Dilo + Neo clade...
have to add that....

> 2. The Clade(Passer > Spinosaurus) stem is actually
> the node Avetheropoda
> (Allosaurus + Neornithes), I believe.

Hhm.... 1. Wasn't Neotetanurae defined first? (A
pet-peeve of mine is NOT using clades that are
synonomous w/ clades that were defined first.) 2.  I
actually believe Spinos & kin MIGHT actually belong in
Neotetanurae(Avetheropoda). Unfortunately, that's al I
can say about it.

> 3. Enigmosauria doesn't need to be in quotes, and it
> hasn't yet been defined
> but I now realize that two definitions have been
> suggested (in the
> Dinosauricon Guest Book, not published material, I
> know!), that is
> {Enigmosaurus + Oviraptor} and {Enigmosaurus <--
> Neornithes}, personally, I
> would like to see it as {Enigmosaurus, Oviraptor <--
> Neornithes}, but
> someone needs to publish it.

I had REAL trouble doing this section... REAL
trouble... I read some earlier posts from a few years
ago & found out (correct me if I'm wrong) that the
stem def. of Oviraptorosauria came out (defined)
BEFORE the node-based one. I think the book it was in
had uncertain validity though. Anyways, whaich of
those Enigmosauria def.'s came out first? And, since
Enigmosauria isnt defined (correct me if I'm wrong
again) but shouldn't it go in quotes?

> 4. Why do you exclude Avimimus from Clade(Oviraptor
> > Therizinosaurus),
> which is Oviraptorosauria?

Like I said above this section was hard to do because
of all the definitions... the definition of
Ovraptorosauria I used was (Oviraptor > Neornithes) &
I thought the only other one was (Oviraptor +
Chirostnotes)? (the same as Oviraptoroidea). So is
that the third definition (Correct me if I'm wrong
AGAIN)? I excluded Avimimus because I used The node
based Enigmosauria (Oviraptor + Enigmosaurus) & don't
common phylogenies have Avimimus right outside that
point? (correct me if I'm wrong AGAIN)

> 5. Alvarezsaurids probably were not the sistergroup
> to Pygostylia, but more
> basal.

I'll look into that.

> 6. I like that you note that ornithischians are
> "awesome". =)

hehehe

     TTYL,
 Steven Mahon