Re: Archaeopteryx (rant)

Nick Pharris <npharris@umich.edu> wrote:

Quoting Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>:

> Here's a more specific example of how flawed your definition is. Rhinos,
> hippos and elephants can all claim descent from the same hoofed ancestor;

Well, to tell the truth, yeah, they all have a common ancestor, but it
wouldn't have been anything we would recognize as a "hoofed" mammal (after
all, it would be our ancestor as well!)

You don't think hyraxes, perissodactyls, artiodactyls, cetaceans and elephants could belong to a clade of mammals that excludes primates? I think they can. Further, the common ancestor of the aforementioned ungulates and "subungulates" probably would have had unguals that were "hoof-like". (I was using "hoofed" in a very general sense - the way hyraxes and elephants are.)

Tim