RE: help with a dinosaur book

Chris:

The book you're looking for is "The Dinosaurs: A Fantastic New View of a
Lost Era" - by William Stout (from 1981).  Stout is the artist/author.
The original version of the book was, I believe, only in trade paperback
size.  [You might find it listed under Byron Preiss - he's the
editor/packager].

The science was as up-to-date as possible for the time.  The scientific
advisor was Dr. Peter Dodson (University of Pennsylvania [USA]).

I bought a limited, leather-bound, slip-cased, signed and number edition
of the book when it was new [in the '80s]. (I think it was $100.00).  I
got Peter to sign it as well - He was surprised, as he hadn't seen that
particular edition.  (No. I'm not selling).

The dinos are colorful, but they always looked too emaciated to me.
[Look for the picture of dinosaurs having sex, and for a dinosaur making
a "night deposit" :-)].

The book is out-of-print.

Also: "The New Dinosaurs" by William Stout (2000) - which is basically
an updated version of the older book, with over 30 new pages.  This book
seems to be currently available.

Hope this helps you.

Allan Edels