Re: Predation in fossil record?

--- Bruce Woollatt wrote:

> The current flap over Horner's " Big Stinky
> Scavenging T.rex" claim got me
> to thinking. Apart from the "fighting dinos" and the
> munched Edmontosaur who
> lived to talk about it, what other evidence of
> actual hunting behavior is
> there in the fossil record?

Do you think the lizard and mammal gut contents of
certain small theropods count? I have a hard time
imagining a small endotherm living exclusively off the
number of undessicated lizard remains it finds in the
brush each day.
    Among the large theropods, I would say scavenging
could make their morphology an example of adaptive
overkill. I am curious why evolution produced a few
distinct forms of extremely large theropod, if they
were all scavengers of some sort. Would there not be
one especially effective type of cranial architecture
preferred for scavenging? I don't pretend to know what
Mr. Horner thinks about these other taxa. Maybe to him
only a few represent giant scavengers. Despite the
distinctions, I see the whole lot as being so generic
that crossover behavior from scavenging to predation
and visa versa is not at all prohibited. More like a
certainty.