Re: Defending grades (Was: Re: Archaeopteryx (rant))

--- Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> They need not be. All we need to do is recognize the appearance of an
> evolutionary novelty (a change in a character's state, or the appearance of a
> new character, for example). When one appears, it is valid to assert that a
> species has changed into another.

Except that an individual with the novelty can presumably interbreed with an
individual without the novelty (otherwise there'd be nothing for the first
individual with the novelty to breed with).

Like some other people, I lack wisdom teeth -- am I a member of a new species?
(Homo oligodon? :)

I've yet to see an explicit, universally applicable definition of "species".
This bothers me.

=====
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====