Re: Predation in fossil record?

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas R. Holtz, Jr. <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
To: <brucewoollatt@hotmail.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 8:50 AM
Subject: RE: Predation in fossil record?

>> Apart from the "fighting dinos" and the munched
> > Edmontosaur who
> > lived to talk about it,

 D. Tanke attributed tail trauma in hadrosaurs to trampling instead of
predation. The Denver Museum Edmontosaurus has a pit in one of its mangled
caudals, interpreted as a tooth mark by the author of the 1988 paper. M.
Brett-Surman, however, noted that "there are many diseases which cause
rotting or pitting of the bone."

 what other evidence of actual hunting behavior is
> > there in the fossil record?

 The PIN 3142/250 puncture wound, which healed.