RE: AFROTHERIA, CROWS & SPECIES CONCEPTS

> From: JRW [mailto:jrwakefield@convergeadv.com]
>
> Simple, we are all Pan.  There is less differences in one genus of other
> groups than there is between several proposed genera in the human chain.
> There is also not enough hard measurable characteristics in the fossils
> found to make a definative cladogram.  Thus, until there is, keep it with
> what we do know.  Humans and Pan are 98% genetically idential, thus those
> species between must have been less diverse.  We are all Pan.

Actually, Homo has taxonomic priority over Pan, so we're all in Homo.
(Which is where, after all, Linnaeus actually PUT chimpanzees!).

Also, genetic distance between taxa and genetic diversity within species are
two different things.  For example, the amount of genetic diversity in any
given population of chimps in a hillside in central Africa is greater than
the genetic diversity of all 6 billion Homo sapiens.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite