Re: Parrot cheeks

From: "Royan" <Theropod@Charter.net>
To: "Brian Lauret" <zthemanvirus@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Parrot cheeks
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:15:59 -0500

On 28 Jun 2003 at 8:07, Brian Lauret wrote:

> These structures aren't cheeks,they're called ''the cere.''They are
> functionally different from cheeks as well,as they serve as a joint between

As a parrot owner, I have always refered to the fleshy area
surrounding the nares as the cere... is this wrong or is there two
areas called  the same?

that aside, parrots do not have cheeks :D  Some can hold food but
usually under the tongue.

Royan

Well, I'm very familiar with parrots as well,and the entire area between beak and skull (including the nares) are part of the cere.
Most parrots can hold food in the feet,with a favor for either left or right,not doing so,seems to be a derived condition,a reversal perhaps.Small species that feed on grass-seeds belong in this group as well as some lorikeets that usually feed on pollen or nectar,wich doesn't require to be held in the foot. It's derivedness seems to be proven by the fact that among the Cacatuidae only the cockatiel,wich seems to be rather derived in this family doesn't usually practise ''footholding.''

Brian

Chatten met je online vrienden via MSN Messenger. http://messenger.msn.nl/