Re: Reconstruction...? restoration...?

Roxton (Lord?) asks:

    << I'm sorry for this question that might seem shallow to most of you,
but can
anybody tell me the difference between reconstruction and restoration of
dinosaurs? and where does scientific illustration fit in? >>

I believe it was William Elgin Swinton who defined the terms. A
reconstruction refers to an assembly of a fossil skeleton in life-like
articulation. A restoration "restores" the creature to life, clothed in
muscles and skin and/or hair. Of course no one pays attention to this, so the
terms have become interchangable. "Scientific illustration" is
self-explanatory, I would think. DV