Two New Prerodactyloid Pterosaurs from Lianoning, China

A technical error prevented this from circulating last month, and I'm
just getting around to dealing with it...

-- MPR

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 20:39:31 +0900
From: "=?ISO-2022-JP?Q?=1B$B9b66!!OBCK=1B=28B?=" <pantheon@dino-pantheon.com>
To: "DinosaurML" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: Two New Prerodactyloid Pterosaurs from Lianoning, China

VERTEBRATA PALASIATICA Vol.41 No.1 pp.34-41
TWO NEW PTERODACTYLOID PTEROSAURS FROM THE EARLY
 CRETACEOUS JIUFOTANG FORMATION OF WESTERN LIAONING, CHINA
WANG Xiao-Lin, ZHOU Zhong-He
Abstract
 In this paper we report two new pterodactyloid pterosaurs
from the Jiufotang Formation in wertern Liaoning Province of
northeast China. They are Chaoyangopterus zhangi gen. et sp.
nov. (Nyctosauridae) and Liaoningopterus gui gen. et sp. nov.
(Anhangueridae). The former not only represents the first
such record in Asia but also the earlist record and most
complete skeleton of the family. Some revisions of the family
are made, such as having four wing digits and well-developed
manual digits I-III. Liaoningopterus is the largest pterosaur
ever discovered in China; its teeth also represent the largest
known from any pterosaurs. Discoveries of two more pterosaurs
from the Jiufotang Formation further show that two pterosaur
assemblages could be recognized in the Jehol Gloup, represented
by the Yixian Formation and Jiufotang Formation, respectively.
The pterosaur assemblage of the Jiufotang Formationg shows a
lot resemblance to that of the Early Cretacrous Santana
Formation (Aptian/Albian) such as the Tapejaridae and
Anhangueridae. The age of the Jiufotang Formation (Aptian) is
 slightly older than the Santana Formation.

- --
TAKAHASHI, Kazuo 高橋 和男
pantheon@dino-pantheon.com
http://www.dino-pantheon.com/