Re: Bird-monotreme link?

> Allegedly, the Yeti wrote-

:-D

> >Has anyone else heard of the study coming out that reports the results
> >of cytochrome-B analysis between monotremes, crocodylians, aves, and
> >marsupials?  Apparently there is a strong molecular basis for linking
> >aves and monotremes.  Just curious if anyone else has any information
> >on this?

Haven't read about that, but I know people who hate cytochrome b, and on
the whole this looks a lot like long-branch attraction. Did they take
*Alligator mississipiensis* as the croc? This beast is capable of making
"vertebrates" ( = itself) the basalmost deuterostome(s) in a molecular
analysis. Let me guess what the cladogram looks like...

+--crocs
`--+--marsupials
   `--+--birds
      `--monotremes

Right?
If so, we have long-branch attraction between crocs and the root, and
between birds (long branch) and monotremes (basalmost mammals, long
branch).

> I've not heard anything, but this reminds me of when there was a paper
> published that argued that mammals and birds were the sistergroup to
> each other because they were endothermic.

Some old paper really found this, not because of endothermy, but because
of long-branch attraction of (AFAIK incomplete) 18S rDNA sequences. Today
this gene produces more normal results.