Re: Waders and fishers

A brief counter argument to the straining beak hypothesis for ornithomimids was
published in the abstract volume for the 2002 SVP meeting.  Aside from that, it
hasn't been published in a journal yet.

The argument proposes that the (putatively keratinous) ornithomimid ridges were
instead underlying supporting structures to anchor a beak, and the author
reported that turtle beaks have similar structures.  I didn't attend, and I
don't have the author's name or the name of the talk, but that's what I can give
you now.

Take it away, folks,

------Ralph W. Miller III
          ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu