Re: Bird-eating Ichthyosaurs

Ken Carpenter states:
<< Hmmm, well actually not true. Having done my PhD on the vertebrate fauna
and paleoecology of the Sharon Springs Member on the Pierre Shale (not on
dinosaurs as some might think), I never saw a single belemnite in any Pierre
collection. >>

       Actually true, although I certainly bow to your knowledge of the
Pierre Shale and its fauna. They are present in the Crow Creek member, I
believe, on the Missouri River just outside of Pierre, South Dakota. I was
present when J.D.Stewart collected some specimens some years ago. He could
certainly verify this, I would think.
       They also occur in the Fox Hills Formation near Badlands Nat'l Park. DV