Re: Animal 'bar codes' to take over from Latin names

Brian Philidor (philidor11@snet.net) wrote:

<But the advantage is it meets the most important criteria for a name:
stability and universality.  No theoretical, subjective intervention.
Still, there'll always be room for genus and species, and families and
ranks and orders, and the whole panoply of organizing ideas that allow an
easier grasp by minds more in tune with a kind of narrative than with an
agglomeration of capital letters. Just means in the listing of species,
those 'belonging' to paleontologists will have a section of the page
designated Terra Incognita.>

  A name is innately stable (even when it isn't a bar code) when the type
specimen is properly selected and referenced. The same will occur with a
genoholotype or haplotype, DNA or non. If the type species is properly
referenced when the name is coined and used, then the name is very stable.
More stable than any other name, in fact. I see no advantage to replacing
the name *Genus species* with "12346-98587." If there is one, let us know
how referencing the later is better than the former.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden