Re: Animal Planet - Giants

James R. Cunningham wrote-
Quetz didn't stand 30 feet tall. The
shoulders were at about 8 feet in a normal stance, the 10 foot long
neck could add about another 7 feet in height, and the 7-8 foot
long head, wouldn't usually be extended straight upward (partly
because the neck couldn't bend into a suitable position to get 17
feet of head/neck extension above the shoulders). Standing height would have been about
14-16 feet. A fair bit shy of 30.

Sadly (OR NOT!), I missed this segment. I'm glad to know this good info though on how tall a *Q* could be, out of curiousity, how tall was *Daspletosaurus* approximately? I recall the old GSP painting... I know that *Albertosaurus* isn't too tall because I went to the Smithsonian on Saturday. Actually, I was surprised because I expected *Allosaurus* also to be much taller...

My comments on the rest of the series (originally intended to be released last night, but circumstances prevented this)...

"I just finished watching this, I didn't catch it all, I sort of channel-surfed at times, I wasn't too interested or impressed with the non-dinosaurian segments of the show.

I was concerned at first with the Tyrannosaurus rex, because it appeared as though Corwin was trying to state that collared lizards were good models for how T. rex moved, but my fears were gone when he briefly mentions that T. rex would have moved more like birds. I'm glad that it was mentioned that T. (and its relatives) were the ancestors of birds, better than what I was tentatively wondering would be said, remember The Future is Wild? I disliked the overall design of the tyrannosaur. It reminds me of one of the action figures released for The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Sadly, Corwin seems to support the Scavenger Hypothesis, as opposed to the Predator Hypothesis. He cites the large olfactory lobes that he feels are reminscient of vultures. He also states that the job of scavengers is to clean up the kills made by the larger predators. So, is he suggesting there was a gigantic dromaeosaur or late-surviving allosaurine in the Late Cretaceous? ;-) Also, as Corwin is leaving the region, the tyrannosaur by the road seems to be dragging it's tail! :-o

I only caught scattered bits and pieces of the rest of the documentary and I'm left thinking that overall, the models seem to move too slowly and don't necessarily seem as life-like as in some other documentaries. Also, Corwin can't quite seem to pull off acting like something is there when its not. One is also left wondering why the "monsters" are not in their proper locales... an Arizonan Tyrannosaurus rex? The Megalania seems to not have a very widespread gait, the legs are nearly under the body in the closing scenes of that segment. I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but I was secretly hoping through every segment that Corwin might pass on in effigy..."

eh... not one of the Discovery networks best...

Nick Gardner