Liaoning volcanic activity

Please pardon the cross posting.

Could someone please tell me -- based on the geology of the Yixian
Formation -- what would the volcanic eruptions of the time have looked
like?  About all I know is that the frequent eruptions produced fine ash
that helped preserve feathers and other fine details of a great
diversity of living things.

Would smoke slowly rise from the volcano prior to eruption?
Would there be any other clues that an eruption was imminent?
Would poison gases issue from the volcano?
What exactly would be the cause of death for the local organisms?
Would one see a single volcano or many?
Would the volcano erupt like Mt. St. Helens?
Would it shake the earth?
Would fire or molten rock shoot from the volcanoes?
Would lake water or rain be a necessary factor in preserving fossils
there?
How is the depositional environment here than at other fossil sites that
show evidence of vulcanism?  What makes this place so special?

What would it be like if you were there when a volcano went off?

Thank you!

--------Ralph W. Miller III
            ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu