Re: Back from the NHM (Jehol dinosaurs)

HP H. P. Bredow wrote...

> Perhaps you mean the "Fossil Treasures from China" at the
> Fuhlrott-Museum in Wuppertal/Germany last year.

Yes.

> I have seen the Munich specimen of Archaeopteryx (bavaricus),

I didn't count the feather, so *A. bavarica* is the 7th. AFAIK preparation
of the 8th is not finished.

> But the other basal coelurosaur? What's this?

"Basal coelurosaur" may well be nonsense. In fact I don't even know if
it's a _dino_saur, although it actually can't be anything else.
        bild der wissenschaft 12/1999, p. 19 says that the same
Klaus-Dieter Weiß who found Borsti in 1998 found "a second fossil of a
land *.saur from the Jurassic" in 1999. It's waiting for preparation, and
Weiß won't tell where yet.
        Weiß possesses the biggest collection of fossil fishes in Europe
-- 30,000 specimens.

This is all I know about it. I haven't read anything more. Borsti is not
kept so secret:

Pino Völkl: Sensationeller Saurierfund, Der Präparator 45(4), 145 -- 150

English summary [still better than the French one]:
"A new, well preserved specimen of a small Theropod [sic] from the Upper
Jurassic Solnhofen limestone of Bavaria is described and figured. Until
now only the skull has been prepared. Many palaeontologists are of the
opinion that the birds have evolved from the theropod dinosaurs. For this
reason the new discovery is of great scientific importance. This specimen
is housed in the Jura-Museum of Eichstätt."

Includes a photo of the 8 cm long skull; I've seen better ones. The skull
of *Compsognathus longipes* -- but probably only of the Solnhofen specimen
which isn't fully grown -- is 7 cm long, has in comparison much smaller
teeth. Borsti is thought to be juvenile because the bones are porous,
don't show much fusion and the orbit is large. Apparently only the first
pmx tooth is unserrated. The sediment is strongly silicified -- = damn
hard -- and hard to tell apart from the bones.