Re: "Iguanodont" Queries

> This should thrill and delight those on the list who are
> fascinated with these creatures who are often neglected on the D.M.L.

Heck yes! ;-)

> 1.  What are the citations for Iguanodon(?) lakotensis, Iguandon(?) hoggi?

Weishampel DB, Bjork PR. 1989. The first indisputable remains of Iguanodon
(Ornithischia: Ornithopoda) from North America: Iguanodon lakotaensis, sp.
nov. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 9, 56-66.

> 2.  What is the Garden of the Gods Iguanodontid?  It is mentioned in this
> post to the D.M.L.- http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Jul/msg00145.html

I don't know if this has ever been described fully. It's a Yale specimen,
according to Bakker's brief mention in:

Bakker, R.T.  1998.  Dinosaur mid-life crisis: the Jurassic-Cretaceous
transition in Wyoming and Colorado.  pp. 67-77. In: Lucas, S.G., J.I.
Kirkland & J.W. Estep.  1998.  Lower and Middle Cretaceous Terrestrial
Ecosystems.  New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Bulletin 14.

> 3.  Is Iguanodon(?) orientalis synonymous with Altirhinus?

In part. . .quoting Norman's description of Altirhinus:

"A well-preserved skull of the new iguanodontid from Khuren Dukh has been
referred to consistently as 'Iguanodon orientalis' (vide Norman, 1985;
Norman & Weishampel, 1990) on the basis of comparison drawn with the teeth
of the known Mongolian species I. orientalis. Re-study of the holotype of I.
orientalis by Norman (1996) confirmed the suspected affinities (Norman,
1980) of this species with the western European genus Iguanodon
bernissartensis, and demonstrated that the referred ornithopod material from
Khuren Dukh did not belong to the same taxon."

D. B. Norman. On Asian ornithopods (Dinosauria: Ornithischia). 3. A new
species of iguanodontid dinosaur. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society,
Vol. 122, No. 1/2, Feb 1998, pp. 291-348.

Those are the ones I can answer. . .hope this helps.

Andy
Andrew A. Farke
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Box P301
501 E. St. Joseph St.
Rapid City, SD  57701

Phone: 605-394-2817

E-mail: andyfarke@hotmail.com